[Samba] M$ W2K Clients get requests to change samba password -- PDC is a samba 2.2.8a

M. D. Parker mike.parker at ga.com
Mon Mar 15 23:39:22 GMT 2004

I am seeing an intermittent problem that bugs just a few people,
infrequently.
We use a Linux RH8 / Samba 2.2.8a PDC and the clients are W2K SP3 systems
with
current M$ patches.

At times, users get the a message that their password expires in XX days and
if they would like to change them.

The smbpasswd file for all user entries are marked with the flags 'UX'
meaning
 of course the password NEVER expires.

I have verified that the RH shadow passwords (should not be used) are set to
never
expire.  And "obey pam restrictions=no".