[Samba] Speed issue

Daniel Kiss niel at dinagon.com
Mon Mar 15 21:57:51 GMT 2004

Hi all,

I am trying to migrate a NetWare file server to samba (on Red Hat 9).

My problem is that unfortunatelly samba is somehow painfully slow, when we run DOS programs from it on the client machines.

The NetWare server is an ancient machine. P1, probably.
The Samba server is P4 3G, 1G RAM, RAID mirroring, etc.

We are running and old DOS program on the client machines, and when it's running from the Samba server it's less than half of the speed when it runs from the old NetWare machine. (It's and old database handler application, generating huge network traffic.)

As far as I can tell, in every aspect the Samba machine is far better than the NetWare one. The only main difference between the two is that Samba (Linux) and NetWare are using different network protocols.

Any idea?

Thanks,
	Dan