[Samba] samba 2.2.3a / openLDAP connection problem

Martin Wood martin at ideaworks3d.com
Mon Mar 15 16:47:14 GMT 2004

ok, thanks for the replies so far...I dont seem to be having much luck

the samba and ldap servers are on the same machine..

i've tried the

read -s -p "Enter LDAP Root DN Password: " LDAP_BINDPW
smbpasswd -w $LDAP_BINDPW

multiple times just to make sure i wasnt making any typos.

i've added

ALL: localhost
ALL: 127.0.0.1
ALL: breadfruit

to hosts.allow just in case.

ldapsearch -x '(cn=Manager)'

gives :

version: 2

#
# filter: (cn=Manager)
# requesting: ALL
#

# search result
search: 2
result: 32 No such object

# numResponses: 1

which seems like its wrong to me (the 32 No such object)

the output from slapd is very verbose, are there any critical sections i
should be concerned with ? (or shall i post the all the slapd output
resulting from the smbpasswd -a marvsmb command ?)

again, thanks for the help...its good to know im not on my own here..

if there are any other tools / commands that i can use to help debug the
situation please let me know..

thanks,

martin