[Samba] Issues while compiling samba 3.0.2a

Erik Hoitinga Erik.Hoitinga at skynet.be
Mon Mar 15 13:39:05 GMT 2004

Dear List,

First forgive me for my RTFM question yesterday about groups not appearing
in the Windows
usermanager (Karel Kulhavý, thanks for your reply). I did read the SAMBA
HOWTO Collection
but in a more 'vertical' way. This net groupmap thing must have passed my
attention.

I installed a prebuild version of Samba for redhat 8.0. Redhat however does
not compile in
ACL's in their kernel by default. So I had to recompile my kernel (2.4.24)
with the necessary
ACL support. The packages libacl-2.0.11-2, acl-2.0.11-2 and
libacl-devel-2.0.11-2 where already
installed. Only the kernel was lacking ACL support which is working fine
right now. However
when I do a "smbd -b | grep -i ACL" there seems to be no ACL support in my
precompiled samba.
This is why I decided to recompile my Samba source. I took the tarbal from
samba.org and not
the source RPM from RedHat and compile it with "make 2>&1 | tee make.out"
after doing the
configure below:

./configure --with-configdir=/etc/samba --with-privatedir=/etc/samba \
            --with-lockdir=/var/lock/samba --with-logfilebase=/var/log/samba
\
            --with-piddir=/var/run/samba --with-swatdir=/usr/share/swat \
            --with-ads --with-pam --with-quotas --with-sendfile-support \
            --with-smbmount --with-syslog --with-utmp --with-winbind \
            --with-ldapsam --with-ldap --with-acl-support --with-pam_smbpass

Now I have the following questions:

1. The compilation process went without errors. But I got a couple of
warnings (25), most of
   them concerning 'passing arg 1 of [function] from incompatible pointer
type'. Is it possible
   that these warnings can cause unexpected behaviour when running samba?
And if so what can I
   do to get rid of these warnings?
2. Can I assume that my e2fsprog and coreutils packages are already patched
for ACL's because
   the ACL packages/libraries mentioned earlier in this mail were already
installed? Can this
   be tested with just a cp or a mv of a directory or file with ACL's on it?
3. When I do a "./smbd -b | grep -i ACL" on my newly compiled smbd deamon I
got "HAVE_SYS_ACL_H,
   HAVE_POSIX_ACLS". Does this mean ACL's are compiled in successfully? I'm
a bit in doubt
   because when I look at the list under "--with Options: & Build Options:"
a WITH_ACL is lacking.

TIA,

Erik Hoitinga
web: http://users.skynet.be/fanzel