[Samba] smb bdc ldap strict read only ?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Mar 14 22:59:17 GMT 2004

On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 03:33:27PM +0100, RRuegner wrote:
> Hi Sambatistas,
> if have setup a ldap pdc which works realy nice.
> Connected over vpn i wanna setup a bdc with an ldap slave as recommended
> in the docs.
> My question is should this ldap slave strict read only ?.
> I thought about passwords , as i enabled the ldap password sync.
> If the con is interrupted and there is only the slave what happens if a
> user wants to change his password?
> Should i strictly forbid such actions to the slave from the bdc, so that
> it is read only

The slave will indeicate to Samba that Samba needs to talk to the
master.  If Samba cannot correctly talk to the master, the operation
will fail.

> or is ther a way to configure ldap slave in setup
> to synchronize the written changes to his master after the connect to
> the master is up again.

This is called 'multimaster replication'.  Samba is not currently
compatible with this, as it makes assumptions about a single
consistant data store.

Andrew Bartlett