[Samba] Re: force user vs read list

Mark gmane at tippingmar.com
Fri Mar 12 18:49:59 GMT 2004

"John H Terpstra" <jht at samba.org> wrote in message
news:Pine.LNX.4.50.0403112205460.9319-100000 at dp.samba.org...

> This is a poor solution. The 'force user' and 'force group' directives
> have serious side-effects and should be avoided if possible,

I have a lot of shares defined with force user and I've been experimenting
with other methods as described in the HowTo.  The following is an example:

[tester]
        comment = test share
        path = /share/tester
        valid users = @Engineers
        read only = No
        delete readonly = Yes

The only problem I have not been able to overcome is that only the owner of
a file can change it to read-only status or back to read-write status.  I
understand that this is posix behavior, but it isn't what my users want
(they don't really understand or care about file ownership!).  Is there a
workaround other than "force user"?  What I'm looking for is something like
the "delete readonly" directive except applied to the read-write status.

Mark