[Samba] samba 2.2.3a / openLDAP connection problem

Martin Wood martin at ideaworks3d.com
Fri Mar 12 14:27:48 GMT 2004

This is my first attempt at using samba with ldap but i've hit a problem
which im trying to debug.

im following the OpenLDAP on Debian Woody guide from
http://aqua.subnet.at/~max/ldap/

and im at the stage where im trying to add users to the LDAP database
using smbpasswd

i've created a normal account for the user, but when i get to do :

# smbpasswd -D10 -a marvsmb

i get :

ldap_open_connection: connection opened
ldap_connect_system: Binding to ldap server as
"cn=manager,dc=ideaworks3d,dc=com"
Bind failed: Can't contact LDAP server
ldap_open_connection: connection opened
ldap_connect_system: Binding to ldap server as
"cn=manager,dc=ideaworks3d,dc=com"
Bind failed: Can't contact LDAP server
Failed to add entry for user marvsmb.
Failed to modify password entry for user marvsmb

---------------

now, i know that the ldap server is running (I can telnet to it, i can
log-in via ssh w/ ldap authentication)

what common problems should i be looking for?

what is a good way to debug this situation? (im running slapd in another
term window so i can see its debug output)

if it helps my smb.conf contains these ldap settings :

# ldap settings
ldap admin dn = cn=manager,dc=ideaworks3d,dc=com
ldap server = localhost
ldap suffix = ou=People,dc=ideaworks3d,dc=com

and my slapd.conf contains :

include         /etc/ldap/schema/core.schema
include         /etc/ldap/schema/cosine.schema
include         /etc/ldap/schema/nis.schema
include         /etc/ldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema
include         /etc/ldap/schema/misc.schema
include         /etc/ldap/schema/samba.schema

# other stuff here

access to attribute=userPassword,lmPassword,ntPassword
         by dn="cn=manager,dc=ideaworks3d,dc=com" write
         by anonymous auth
         by * none

access to *
         by dn="cn=manager,dc=ideaworks3d,dc=com" write
         by dn="cn=nss,dc=ideaworks3d,dc=com" read
         by * auth

sorry for the long mail but i thought it wise to include as much
relevant detail as possible (although my concept of relevant will no
doubt change :)

thanks,

Martin