[Samba] Trouble mounting a windows share from Linux

Shawn Iverson shawn at nccsc.k12.in.us
Fri Mar 12 02:04:14 GMT 2004

On Thursday, March 11, 2004 7:03 PM Shawn wrote:

> Well, since many users will be using these computers and there is no way
> of
> knowing which user may sit down at a machine, this will not work.  I need
> something that will work for all users when they log in, and I cannot have
> the password in plain text anywhere, not even in a file.
>
> What I need is a pam_exec module that will execute a mount command and
> substitute the username and password in the command.

I did it!  I can now log in and access a share while only prompting for a
password once!  Here is how I did it:

I downloaded pam_mount from
http://www.flyn.org/projects/pam_mount/index.html

and installed it.

I then edited the /etc/security/pam_mount.conf and added the following near
the end:

volume * smb testtech & /home/&/mnt uid=&,gid=& - -

I also edited my /etc/pam.d/system-auth accordingly.  Oh what a great
utility!  This is exactly what I was looking for!