[Samba] force user vs read list

William R. Knox wknox at mitre.org
Thu Mar 11 21:51:50 GMT 2004

I am in the process of expanding access to a share that currently has the
following configuration:

[uniqname]
   comment = Unique comment
   path = /path/to/the/stuff
   public = no
   writable = yes
   printable = no
   valid users = user1,user2,user3
   force user = cooluser

I want to add read-only access to an additional set of users. The smb.conf
man page and the Samba-HOWTO are not clear (to me) about the precedence of
the "force user" option versus the "read list" option - if I add user4 to
a read list parameter entry, will they also get logged on as that user and
have write permissions (as determined by the underlying filesystem)? I
wanted to ask before even trying just to make sure that any discovery
isn't later deemed a bug and changed.

If the force user overrides the read list, I suppose I can just set up an
alternate share pointing to the samba path that is read only with a
different set of valid users, but that just feels so kludgey...

The samba version in use is 2.2.8a, but I will be upgrading to 3.0.2a in
the very near future, in case there is any difference.

Thanks in advance for any help.

			Bill Knox
			Lead Operating Systems Programmer/Analyst
			The MITRE Corporation