[Samba] Problem since switching to 3.0.2/3.0.2a

Arnold Andrews X-324-4292 aandrews at eng.okla.seagate.com
Thu Mar 11 20:16:35 GMT 2004

Dear Samba Team,

I have recently upgraded from Samba 2.2.8a to Samba 3.0.2 where I first noticed
the issue.  I have also installed 3.0.2a to check if the problem I found may
have already been fixed before submitting this issue.

Here's the problem:

After migrating and switching from passdb backend "smbpasswd" to the new
"tdbsam" backend, I started having problems with user's profiles.  I was getting
error messages about not being able to download the user's profile from the
server and such.  So upon checking the profile directory on the server, I
noticed that there was a directory there named "%u" which had never been there
before.

I used "User Manager" for domains (after authenticating to the Samba domain as
root), and found that the user's profile was actually being stored in the tdbsam
database with the "%u" at the end of the "User Profile Path" instead of making
the substitution to the actual username.

My workaround for now is to use "user manager" and manually switch the "%u" in
the user profile for each user to the actual username.
I believe the fix would be to change the behavior of "pdbedit" so that when the
database is migrated from "smbpasswd" to "tdbsam" (or whatever other databases
that may apply) that the pdbedit program actually substitute the "%u" to the
actual username as it populates the destination database.  The "smbpasswd"
program should also do this when it creates a new user account.

I have been a long time user of Samba and really appreciate all the hard work
that all of you do there.

Thank you for making such a wonderful tool.  Keep up the great work!

Best regards,

Arnold Andrews
Sr. Systems Administrator
Seagate Technology