[Samba] Trouble mounting a windows share from Linux

Shawn Iverson shawn at nccsc.k12.in.us
Thu Mar 11 17:55:11 GMT 2004

On Thursday, March 11, 2004 10:27 AM, Fernando Pintabona said:

> Right at the end of smbmount man page, you have an example using mount.
> SMB type of filesystem is the way linux sees a SAMBA (or NT
> domain/workgroup )share. You may want to try specifying the domain also.
>
> Fernando P

Sorry, I could not find an example on the man page on this particular
machine.

snip

> > What does "failed" mean? Didn't work at all, permission problem, or
> what?

Aplologies for not posting the output.  Here it is:

Using smbclient works:

[shawn at sambaclient1 shawn]$ smbclient //testtech/shawn -U shawn
Password:
smb: \> ls
  .                                  DA        0  Thu Mar 11 11:53:32 2004
  ..                                 DA        0  Thu Mar 11 11:53:32 2004
  New Folder                          D        0  Thu Mar 11 11:53:32 2004

                49580 blocks of size 65536. 48830 blocks available
smb: \> quit

Using smbmount fails.  I am unsure how to install smbmnt as suid root:

[shawn at sambaclient1 shawn]$ smbmount //testtech/shawn /home/shawn/mnt
username=shawn uid=shawn gid=shawn fmask=0755 gmask=0755 workgroup=tech rw
Password:
smbmnt must be installed suid root for direct user mounts (503,503)
smbmnt failed: 1

Attempted as root:

 [root at sambaclient1 root]# smbmount //testtech/shawn /home/shawn/mnt
username=shawn uid=root gid=root fmask=0755 gmask=0755 workgroup=tech rw
Password:
4606: session setup failed: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)
SMB connection failed