[Samba] samba 3 ldap pdc

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Mar 11 16:20:47 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 00:51, Lukas Meyer wrote:
> Hi list!
>
> I set up a new Samba 3 PDC with ldap backend. In our network, there
> already exists an old samba 2.2.8 PDC with ldap backend. Now I have two
> PDC named DOMAIN1 and DOMAIN2. Because in our network, there are a lot
> of windows NT4 and W2k workstations that are loggin on to DOMAIN1, I
> don't want to join every workstation to DOMAIN2.
>
> Is it possible to shut down DOMAIN1, and configure the new PDC DOMAIN2
> as DOMAIN1 so the workstations don't have to join again btw wouldn't get
> new profiles? I migrated all workstation and user accounts to the new
> one, so every workstation and user has also access to the new PDC. Or
> exists any other method of migrating to the new PDC? The big problem is
> that I want to keep the profiles of every user.
----
I am a bit surprised by this question since it would seem that someone
that has already set up LDAP on both samba 2.2x & 3 has a pretty good
working knowledge of the differences in schema/attributes of the two and
could probably slapcat their LDAP from the 2.2x version (machine
accounts) - find & replace fix the changes and import them into the LDAP
store for 3.0.x

Obviously the DOMAIN NAME, localSID, GID's etc will differ and those
must also be fixed.

There is a section about conversion from 2.2x to 3.0.x in the how-to

Craig