[Samba] downloading printer drivers from W98 client

Norbert Gomes norbert.gomes at orleans-tours.iufm.fr
Thu Mar 11 16:06:56 GMT 2004

Hi

I've got some problems with the download of Adobe PostScript printer
drivers on a Windows 98 client :

On the server side (Red Hat 9  / Samba 3.0.1 / Cups 1.1.17) :

I installed succesfully my printers with Cups and they work fine on Linux
I ran cupsaddsmb tool to copy the Adobe files in the [print$] directory
which gives this result :

...../W32X86/2 : cupsdrvr.dll    cups.hlp    cupsui.dll    hp2200.ppd
hp2300.ppd
...../WIN40 : ADFONTS.DLL    DEFPRTR2.PPD    ICONLIB.DLL    PSMON.DLL
...../WIN40/0 : ADOBEPS4.DRV    ADOBEPS4.HLP    hp2200.PPD    hp2300.PPD

On the client side (Windows 98) :

I install the printer via the Network Neighbourhood but only the
ADOBEPS4.DRV file is copied from the server and Windows can't print the
Test Page.
If I manually install the Adobe Drivers on the client, I can use the
printer.

I think that there is an error while the files are copied to the client
but I found no information in Samba's log and Cups logs.

I don't understand what's going on, can someone help me ?

Thank you all and sorry for my bad english : )

Norbert GOMES

IUFM Orléans-Tours
Service Informatique