[Samba] Samba and LDAP backend - howto docs problems?

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Thu Mar 11 12:03:01 GMT 2004

Craig White wrote:

> I can tell by the volume of your messages that you feel that you have a
> message worthy of delivery but I don't agree. You have bundled a lot of
> your frustration with learning LDAP into Samba and Samba doesn't require
> you to use LDAP at all.

Obviously it doesn't require you to use LDAP, however Samba supports
LDAP, and if this is the case it is not unreasonable to expect setting
it up to be reasonably straightforward.

> If you want easy, if you want total
> consistency so someone without knowledge can follow your footsteps 6
> months from now, you should be implementing Windows.

This is the exact problem. There is another product out there that got
usability right. Yes, Samba is more secure, more flexible, and more
reliable, but if it cannot be set up properly, then the benefits are not
accessible to people.

> Had you had a working knowledge of LDAP, your criticisms might be of
> some value but in light of the fact that you really want to vent about
> LDAP and how it integrates, it's meaning is lost on this samba message
> base.

As the person who integrated mod_ldap into Apache httpd, I feel that I
have quite a significant knowledge of LDAP thank you.

Don't simply assume anybody with a different opinion on how something
should work automatically makes them ignorant.

Regards,
Graham