[Samba] Samba and LDAP backend - howto docs problems?

Adam Williams adam at morrison-ind.com
Wed Mar 10 20:17:55 GMT 2004

> A diagram would be nice.  Are you aware of any?  I'm one of the newbees
> that has spent untold hours reading Official Samba-3 cover to cover,
> reading howtos & sample configurations without getting an operational
> LDAP system to show for my efforts.  I finally got a Qmail / Courier /
> Squirrelmail / LDAP system up & running, but that's another story...
> It should be clear to all of us that LDAP is an area of great interest
> and dissatisfaction with regard to the SAMBA project.

Maybe these links will help somebody....

Alot of general LDAP information -
ftp://ftp.kalamazoolinux.org/pub/pdf/ldapv3.pdf

And example for laying out a directory, lots of notes on schema, and
some other stuff someone looking for conceptual ideas might find handy
(this is merely internal documentation made public). -
ftp://ftp.kalamazoolinux.org/pub/pdf/EDManual.pdf

This goes over all(?) the new ldap directives added in 3.0.x, was an
introduction to Samba 3.0.x for people running 2.2.x -
ftp://ftp.kalamazoolinux.org/pub/pdf/Samba3-WhatsNew.sxi.pdf

Not really relevant to LDAP but contains some pretty clever and
overlooked stuff (IMO anyway) -
ftp://ftp.kalamazoolinux.org/pub/pdf/AbusingWin32.pdf