AW: [Samba] Re: windows xp slow directory listing

Stumpfl Markus htl.traun.kustos at eduhi.at
Wed Mar 10 08:34:46 GMT 2004

What I know it's not samba related. This happens in a Win only
environment too!
I have the same problem at home (only 2-3 pcs) but in work with 50+ PCs
there is no problem whatsoever because:
it really helps if the samba server is the "browse list master"!
Normally that's any PC on the network, but the speed/uptime/...
controlls who will win the master election.
So if you set
        os level = 255
        preferred master = yes
        domain master = yes
	  local master = yes
the samba server should always win the election and be the browse list
master!

I hope this helps,

Markus

PS: For WinXP you really should have a working dns system (with the
reverse entries!)

Win98