[Samba] Win2k joining a Samba domain

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Mar 10 01:17:57 GMT 2004

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Graham Leggett wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Having managed to get far enough with the config to get a win2k box to
> connect to a Samba v3.0 share where the Samba machine's backend is based
> in LDAP, I cannot now add this win2k machine to the domain.
>
> Can anyone give me an example of how to set up an account within the
> LDAP server that has sufficient rights to allow the machine to join my
> Samba domain?

The account you use to create a domain member account (join the domain)
must have UID=0 on the UNIX end. ie: root.

Also, you must have an appropriate script in place for the smb.conf
[gloabl] parameter:

	add machine script =

If using the smbldap-tools script you need to have the configuration file
for it correctly set up also, including embedding the correct domain SID.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org