[Samba] Samba and LDAP backend - howto docs problems?

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Tue Mar 9 23:22:50 GMT 2004

Hi all,

I have followed the instructions at
http://samba.mirror.ac.uk/samba/docs/man/passdb.html in an attempt to
set up a Samba v3.0.2 (supplied by Redhat as part of RHEL v3.0) PDC.

I have got as far as trying to get a windows 2k box to join this new
domain that I have created, however this fails with the error "Logon
failure: unknown user name or password".

Samba itself logs nothing of this failure.

Looking at the LDAP logs, I see that Samba is trying to do the following
LDAP search:
(&(&(uid=admin)(objectClass=sambaSamAccount))(objectClass=sambaSamAccount))

This search fails, because the ldif displayed in the howto does not
include the sambaSamAccount objectclass in the admin object:

dn: cn=admin,ou=People,dc=quenya,dc=org
cn: admin
objectclass: top
objectclass: organizationalRole
objectclass: simpleSecurityObject
userPassword: {SSHA}c3ZM9tBaBo9autm1dL3waDS21+JSfQVz

Does anyone have any step by step instructions for getting a Win2k box
to join a Samba domain that is known to work?

Regards,
Graham