[Samba] extended error

Antony Gelberg antony at antgel.co.uk
Tue Mar 9 17:29:11 GMT 2004

Hi all,

This is happening on a Samba 3.0.1 PDC-controlled domain, so I'm not
sure if the issue is Samba-related.  If not, perhaps somebody can point
me in the right direction.

One of my users has a printer connected to his Win2k PC (name
UPSTAIRS-SMALL).  Printing to it from another (WinXP) workstation fails
miserably.  I tried to go back to first principles and go Start->Run
\\upstairs-small to see the shares on the machine.

That returns: "an extended error has occurred".  Very helpful.

Then, in a dos prompt:
> C:\Documents and Settings\antgel>net view
> Server Name            Remark

> \\DOWNSTAIRS
> \\FUJITSU-LAPTOP       LAPTOP
> \\PULSE-LAPTOP         Pulse Solutions laptop
> \\RECEPTION
> \\SECRETARY
> \\SERVER               Samba 3.0.1-Debian
> \\UPSTAIRS-SMALL
> The command completed successfully.
>

> C:\Documents and Settings\antgel>net view \\upstairs-small
> An internal Windows 2000 error occurred.
>
> More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2140.
>

> C:\Documents and Settings\antgel>net helpmsg 2140
>
> An internal Windows 2000 error occurred.
>
> EXPLANATION
>
> A software error occurred.
>
> ACTION
>
> Contact technical support.

Aside from the hilarity of the above, I need to get this going, and I am
technical support, DOH!  This happens from more than one workstation.
The strange thing is that it does sometimes work (rarely), but appears to be
totally random.

I'd appreciate a CC as I'm not subscribed.

Now playing: The Mahavishnu Orchestra - Meeting of the Spirits