[Samba] (no subject)

Anthony Carmody anthony at carmoda.com
Tue Mar 9 14:53:47 GMT 2004

Hiya,

i have had a HTTP directory tree shared out via SMB on my HTTP
development server for a few years with no trouble. recently however
various files have started becoming read-only as far as my Win2k machine
is
concerned. upon ssh-ing into the tree in question i find all the
permissions are fairly open and i cannot see why i should have any
problem at all.
i have attempted chmod-ing in various different ways and restarting
samba
with mixed results, normally a chmod 775 does the trick.
my network is very simple, just an XP laptop, WIN2K workstation
a Linux DNS/FW and DHCP server and a fileserver with FreeBSD
[the SMB server in question] all i normally use is a workgroup, as i
have a
substantial firewall and security is not a priority inside.
anyone think of anything else that might be causing the
problem?

/////////////////// smb.conf

# Date: 2004/03/10 00:19:32

# Global parameters
[global]
 deadtime = 5
 wins server = qube.carmoda.homeunix.org
 domain master = No
 create mode = 0755
 dns proxy = No
 encrypt passwords = yes
 valid users = carmoda,wwwdev,www, at carmoda, at wwwdev, at www, at wheel, at staff
 writable = yes
 directory mode = 0755
 domain logons = Yes
 delete veto files = Yes
 max connections = 25
 server string = CARMODAFS01
 workgroup = WORKGROUP
 map system = Yes
 map hidden = Yes
 delete readonly = yes
 log file = /var/log/log.samba
 netbios name = CARMODAFS01
 guest account = guest-share
 os level = 1
 default = homes
 default case = upper
 write list = carmoda,wwwdev,www, at carmoda, at wwwdev, at www, at wheel, at staff

[public]
 path = /tmp
 guest ok = Yes

[homes]
 comment = Home Directories
 browseable = No

[wwwdev]
 path = /usr/wwwdev
 comment = Virtual Web Servers HTTP dirs
 valid users = carmoda, at carmoda, at wwwdev, at www, at staff
 write list = carmoda, at carmoda, at wwwdev, at www, at staff
 create mask = 0664
 directory mask = 0775

////////////////// and the log file