[Samba] How to enable both remote and local users?

Arno Hahma arno at jyu.fi
Tue Mar 9 05:39:14 GMT 2004

On 8. Mar, 2004, at 15:48, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> This is by design.   I'm assuming that you mean you want users
> in the Windows domain to be mapped to local unix accounts if
> a matching username already exists on the system.

Yes, exactly!

> It's all or none here.  You can tell winbindd to map all windows
> users to local accounts (winbind trusted domains only = yes) or
> to handle all remote users/groups itself.

Oh well... I guess I'll have to go the "all" -way then and set up the
shells
manually for those, who need a shell access plus create all samba users
manually as well. Actually, this is not so bad an idea after it has
been done, since
password management still goes to winbindd and the kerberos servers. I
thought
I would have saved a lot of work by only listing shell users to the
local /etc/passwd
and leaving all the rest to winbindd.