[Samba] Solaris 9 --with-krb5 problems

Hai Wu hwu3 at wpo.it.luc.edu
Mon Mar 8 20:33:32 GMT 2004

Hi,

Actually krb5.h is needed for Samba installation, but not avaiable in Solaris default Kerberos installation. Per Sun support, they don't want to provide that file. So I guess you have to use other options here.

Regards,
Hai

>>> Diego Julian Remolina <dijuremo at math.gatech.edu> 03/05/04 14:50 PM >>>
Hi Andy,

> ## Ok as far as I'm aware the following is true, you must use MIT or Heimdal Kerberos with
> ## Solaris because Solaris Kerberos is not available with header files (Sun have no plans
> ## to include headers with their bundled distribution). Sun/MIT/Heimdal implementations of
> ## Kerberos are all gssapi compliant authentication mechanisms.

I think the above is not correct, as you can see from the following
commands; the header files for gssapi are part of the package SUNWhea:

oak:/etc/openldap/ldif # pkgchk -lp /usr/include/gssapi/gssapi.h
Pathname: /usr/include/gssapi/gssapi.h
Type: regular file
Expected mode: 0644
Expected owner: root
Expected group: bin
Expected file size (bytes): 22478
Expected sum(1) of contents: 31395
Expected last modification: Apr 06 14:12:32 2002
Referenced by the following packages:
        SUNWhea
Current status: installed

oak:/etc/openldap/ldif # pkginfo -l SUNWhea
   PKGINST:  SUNWhea
      NAME:  SunOS Header Files
  CATEGORY:  system
      ARCH:  sparc
   VERSION:  11.9.0,REV=2002.04.06.15.27
   BASEDIR:  /
    VENDOR:  Sun Microsystems, Inc.
      DESC:  SunOS C/C++ header files for general development of software
    PSTAMP:  leo20030527173442
  INSTDATE:  Dec 30 2003 16:31
   HOTLINE:  Please contact your local service provider
    STATUS:  completely installed
     FILES:     1323 installed pathnames
                  32 shared pathnames
                  85 directories
               16086 blocks used (approx)

> ## You appear to have installed what looks like a second version of gssapi (I assume also Heimdal)
> ## which Samba make is not liking. I'm sorry I haven't tried installing Heimdal Kerberos myself,
> ## can you check whether it is possible to install/compile it without installing a duplicate
> ## implementation of gssapi? Or maybe someone else on the list can help?
> ## thanks Andy.

I am using heimdal because it is thread safe while mit kerberos is not.
This is very important for my openldap server.  Would you please check if
your system has the package SUNWhea installed? If it is then you should
have some header files like /usr/include/gssapi/gssapi.h

The conflicting header files are not part of any of Sun's kerberos
packages SUNWkrbr, SUNWkrbu or SUNWkrbux which I have installed since
those provide authentication.  I did not want to have to remove all the
Sun kerberos packages since I am using the pam_krb5.so from those packages
in my pam stack to authenticate users.  Even if I remove the kerberos
packages the header files will remain there so I do not think removing
those kerberos packages will help.

Have a good weekend,

Diego