[Samba] Samba, Netatalk, Macintoshes and the like!

Russell Packer russell.packer at arnoldinteractive.com
Mon Mar 8 12:52:16 GMT 2004

Hi all,

I'm trying to get Samba (3.0.2a) to display those funny characters that
Mac users just love to use!

We've got (mainly) MacOS 9 clients connecting via Netatalk, and are
hoping to move to MacOS X via Samba.

The problem is that loads of filenames looks like this on the Linux
server:

:a5FLASH\ SAMPLES:a5

And then turn into garbage when viewed through Samba (e.g. FGFH~JHH)

(Through Netatalk this is a filename with a little dot on either side, a
bit like *FLASH SAMPLES*)

I've done much googling and much rtfm'ing, but just can't seem to get it
right! Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!