[Samba] upgrade samba-2.2.8 to samba-3.0.2a (umlauts)

Götz Reinicke goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de
Mon Mar 8 12:27:16 GMT 2004

Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-03-06 at 01:39, Götz Reinicke wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>we run a samba 2.2.8 server and like to migrate to a faster, new server
>>running samba 3.0.2a.
>>
>>I thought to copy all files from the old to the new one mounting the new
>>shares by nfs. For a test I copied some files using scp.
>>
>>A problem concernes the german umlauts:
>>
>>on the old server they aren't displayed if I "ls" the files while
>>browsing the share works fine. If I copy the files to the new share, the
>>files are visible in a terminal by e.g. ls, but not visible on the share
>>mounted by my client :-(
>>
>>I'm using the default settings for character coding or the charset options.
>>
>>Any ideas how to solve my problem? Is ther a (easy) workaround?
>

> You should configure your system locale for UTF8, and then run a program
> such as convmv to convert all your filenames from your current codepage
> into UTF8.
>
> or set your 'unix charset', but it really is best simply to use UTF8.

Hi,

maybe a stupid question, but how do I find out, which codepage is the
current??

I did copy a old folder from my old samba2 server to my new samba3
server using scp and did :

./convmv -r -f iso-8859-1 -t utf8 ../foo\ bar/

The output is:

mv "../foo bar/?"       "../foo bar/"
mv "../foo bar/hallebadk?pple"  "../foo bar/hallebadkpple"
mv "../foo bar/?"       "../foo bar/"
mv "../foo bar/?"       "../foo bar/"

But where are my umlauts??

Thanks once more for any hints!