[Samba] Gethostbyaddr failed

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Mar 8 11:23:28 GMT 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 21:38, Dominique Rouvier wrote:
> Same message in English (my English is so bad)

It is better than my french :-)

> I have some trouble with my samba 2.2.1a (on Suse 7.3 PPC)

This is a *very* old version, with known major security holes and many
flaws corrected by later 2.2 and more importantly the 3.0 releases of
Samba.

>  since 2/3
> days. This file server samba run for one year !
> The last problem is a problem of connection for few users (not all). You
> can see on the PC (NT Wstn) the connexion (the server) but there is
> nothing in it (if you open/explore it)
>
> Our architecture :
> 2 serveurs Samba (file / printing) with about 30 users (for one year)
> few NT4 servers (with the PDC)
> PC on NT4 Wstn
>
> All ours users use a script to connect share folders and disk on servers.
> This morning some using are running normaly. But few others users can't
> open the mapped server (i.e. U\). There is nothing in it. If you
> disconnect this manually and after you connect it manually all is ok
> (You can all the files of this share folder).
> Users are recognised but not connected (you can't find any "active
> connections" on swat), active shares are ok.
>
> In log.smbd for these users with this trouble i have this message :
> "Gethostbyaddr failed for 1.1.1.1.0 "(ip adress)
>
> What is that ? What can i do ?

This means that your reverse DNS is not setup correctly.  Later Samba
2.2 versions avoided doing reverse DNS lookups (unless configured), as
most sites cannot configure this correctly.

> P.S. :
> Is it a problem with a tbd corrupted ?
> On thuesday i had a trouble with sessionid.tdb (connexion number >
> 3000). I think it's the beginnig of my current problem

This issue has been resolved in Samba 3.0, and occurs if smbd processes
die without cleaning up their entries...

> For this problem (a collegue sayed me to do this)
> I stopped samba
> I destroyed this table
> I restarted samba
> All was ok

This is the correct solution to an 'over-full' sessionid table.  This
should not be nearly as much of an issue in Samba 3.0.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net