[Samba] 3.0.2a: SID, User Enumeration

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Mar 7 21:20:02 GMT 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 02:51, fire-eyes wrote:
> I'm runninng samba 3.0.2a on a few machines, ADS security mode, domain
> member roles. I throw nessus at it, and it can fetch the SID and then
> list all of the users on the system.
>
> I view this as a security problem, is there a way to prevent this?

Firstly, nessus is a bit over-the-top at times.  That said, you may run
Samba in 'restrict anonymous' mode by setting the smb.conf parameter.

'restrict anonymous = 2' will keep nessus at bay, but also break any
network browsing function your machine may be playing.  You cannot set
this on a PDC.  See the manpage the and MS knowlege base articles
mentioned in it.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org