[Samba] Samba 3 "public" Access

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Fri Mar 5 00:09:58 GMT 2004

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Jason McCormick wrote:

> > include = smb.conf.%L is your freind - but watch out, for this to work
> > you must set 'smb ports = 139' or we might not get our 'called name' on
> > which we base that.
>
>   This is starting to make sense.  Thanks for the anwsers John and Andrew.
>  One further clarification.  From the manpages it discusses %L being "what
> the client calls you" so does this mean that, for example clients with
> Windows and UNIX accounts would go to \\PRIVATE and windows-only users
> would go to \\PUBLIC?  If so, then would I have 3 config files?  One
> that's a "master" setup and then the include that pulls in,
> /etc/samba/smb.conf.PUBLIC or /etc/samba/smb.conf.PRIVATE?  Also, what's

1. The %L parameter is lower case. Do not use upper case for the
smb.conf.%L file name.

2. When you set in [globals]
	netbios aliases = fredo jimbo jacko georgiepie

Samba will register these names so that they will appear as machine
(server) names in the Windows Network Neighborhood.

When you then click on the name "FREDO" it will access the Samba server by
calling it FREDO. That is how a server alias name functions. See the man
page for smb.conf and search for "netbios aliases" for more info.

> the preferred/best mechanism for making both of those appear?  Or am I way
> off base?  I don't see anything in the Samba 3 docs about virtual servers
> (or am I missing it under another name?)

I think you disconnected a little. :)

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra