[Samba] CUPS and Samba

pll+samba at permabit.com pll+samba at permabit.com
Thu Mar 4 17:36:51 GMT 2004

Hi all,

I'm running Debian/stable with Samba 3.0.2a and Cups 1.1.20final-12
both from backports.org and have the following smb.conf file:

[global]
   workgroup = PermaCorp
   server string = %h server (Samba %v)

   ########## Printing ##########
   load printers = yes
   printing = cups
   printcap name = cups

   #### Debugging/Accounting ####
   log level = 3
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 1000
   syslog = 0

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /tmp
   browseable = no
   printable = yes
   public = yes
   writable = no
   guest ok = yes

 [print$]
    comment = Printer Drivers
    path = /var/lib/samba/printers
    browseable = yes
    read only = yes
    guest ok = yes

Yet I can't seem to browse any printers on my Samba server?
The W2K system I'm using can see the Samba system, but gets asked for
a username and password when I try to browse it's "shares".

I have CUPS installed, and Samba is compiled against libcups.so.2:

  # ldd `which smbd` | grep cups
        libcups.so.2 => /usr/lib/libcups.so.2 (0x400c5000)

All I want to do is share out my printers from the CUPS server to
Windows.  There's no need for passwords or accounts, etc.  There's no
reason to lock out 'guest', etc. as I'm *only* sharing printers.

Thanks,
--
Seeya,
Paul

GPG Key fingerprint = 1660 FECC 5D21 D286 F853  E808 BB07 9239 53F1 28EE