Re. : Re: [Samba] Re: Multiple DB / fragmented information

stephane.purnelle at corman.be stephane.purnelle at corman.be
Thu Mar 4 13:51:56 GMT 2004

Hi,

Maybe using LDAP REFERRAL ???

-----------------------------------
Stéphane PURNELLE                         stephane.purnelle at corman.be
Service Informatique       Corman S.A.           Tel : 00 32 087/342467

|---------+--------------------------------------------------------->
|         |           "Lapin(c)" <lapin at linagora.com>               |
|         |           Envoyé par :                                  |
|         |           samba-bounces+stephane.purnelle=corman.be at list|
|         |           s.samba.org                                   |
|         |                                                         |
|         |                                                         |
|         |           04/03/2004 14:51                              |
|         |                                                         |
|---------+--------------------------------------------------------->
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                               |
  |        Pour :   Jérôme Fenal <jerome.fenal at logicacmg.com>                                     |
  |        cc :     "samba at lists.samba.org" <samba at lists.samba.org>                               |
  |        Objet :  Re: [Samba] Re: Multiple DB / fragmented information                          |

Selon Jérôme Fenal <jerome.fenal at logicacmg.com>:

> Salut Lapin(c),
>
> Comment va depuis notre longue discussion sur Solutions Linux ?

Plutot bien merci :)

> Lapin(c) wrote:
>
> > I was exploring a local LDAP solution, as it's for a very large network
> (1000
> > sites / 100000 users) we want a disjunction between local
administration
> for
> > machines and global administration for users.
>
> What do you mean for disjunction between local administration and users ?
>
> Do you mean :
> 1. Separation between directory insertion (etheir user or machine) and
> local PC admin rights :
> - class D people can insert machines, as well as users
> - class T people can login to machines as local admin
>
> 2. Separation between directory insertion (users inserted by some
> people, machine by others) and local PC admin rights :
> - class M people (local support I guess) can insert local machine, in
> the right ou=site,ou=Computers sub-ou
> - class D people can insert users (centrally managed I guess), and maybe
>   Computers
> - class T people (see below).
>
> I guess (read I think, but not yet investigated further) that it could
> be done, maybe with the help of LDAP management application and
> carefully crafted LDAP ACLs.
> I think that, if using IdealX scripts, and different sub-ou
> configuration for these, you may can do what you intend to, directly
> using Samba and inserting machine directly from the Windows PC.

I mean that computers account is a local data and users password is a
global
data. so I need to separate both information in term of localization, hence
for
administration. It's mainly a LDAP architecture problem now.

> What is the size of the biggest site (I beg it is the Lyon one in
> Part-Dieu) ? Or maybe Paris'ones.

yes they are, the biggest are 300/400 users per site.

> I guess that machine passwords traffic (once per week) would not be that
> huge, even on 64kb/s lines

no the study is done to minimize network flow on the backbone.