[Samba] Windows access to samba share

Toby Schaefer toby-list at mail.nixa.k12.mo.us
Wed Mar 3 22:56:17 GMT 2004

-|-----Original Message-----
-|From: samba-bounces+toby-list=mail.nixa.k12.mo.us at lists.samba.org
-|[mailto:samba-bounces+toby-list=mail.nixa.k12.mo.us at lists.samba.org] On
-|Behalf Of Mike Westkamper
-|Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 4:41 PM
-|To: SAMBA
-|Subject: [Samba] Windows access to samba share
-|
-|I am new to the list so my problem is likely redundant.
-|
-|I am using Samba on a remote Linux system to offer Windows clients access
-|data being collected by a real-time system. The real-time data collection
-|systems are built on the RH 8 Linux distribution. I also have one that was
-|built using the RH Fedora Core 1 distribution. The data collection
-|software
-|runs as root (yes I do know its not the best way but for a number of
-|reasons
-|it is most convenient and the system ONLY runs the one application).
-|
-|This system is an isolated subnet with only 6 boxes, 5 are Linux data
-|collection systems and the 6th is a Windows 2000 GUI box.
-|
-|The problem arises when Windows client try's to access the data. It gets
-|an
-|"Access Denied" message.
-|
-|>From the default smb.conf - the following are my changes from the
-|default...
-|
-|workgroup = WORKGROUP
-|
-|hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.
-|
-|security = share
-|
-|[filestore]
-|        comment = Digital Data Files
-|        path = /filestore
-|        public = yes
-|        writable = yes
-|        create mask = 0777
-|        directory mode = 0777
-|
-|I am not a Linux guru, however is do have some experience with both Samba
-|and Linux.
-|
-|Any help will be greatly appreciated.
-|
-|Mike
-|
-|This message is private and contains confidential information intended
-|only
-|for the use of the recipient(s). If you have received this e-mail in error
-|and are not the intended recipient you must not disclose, copy or
-|distribute
-|it to anyone else. Please advise the sender immediately,
-|mjwestkamper at weiinc.com, and delete this email and all attachments.
-|
-|--
-|To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
-|instructions:  http://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/samba

Two things immediately come to mind:

1.  Make sure that you have created a user for the person logging in (both
in Linux and Samba)

2.  Make sure that the user that you created has linux access to the files.
(If the files are -rw-rw---- and that users doesn't belong to the same group
as the group on the file, samba will give an access denied.)

The big 'kicker' when learning the basics of samba/linux interaction is that
you always need to check the permissions on the base shared directory as
well -  I've found that linux permissions account for about 50% of the
'basic' samba problems that I've seen, and it's easy to overlook.

Cheers,

Toby Schaefer