[Samba] Windows access to samba share

Mike Westkamper mjwestkamper at weiinc.com
Wed Mar 3 22:40:47 GMT 2004

I am new to the list so my problem is likely redundant.

I am using Samba on a remote Linux system to offer Windows clients access to
data being collected by a real-time system. The real-time data collection
systems are built on the RH 8 Linux distribution. I also have one that was
built using the RH Fedora Core 1 distribution. The data collection software
runs as root (yes I do know its not the best way but for a number of reasons
it is most convenient and the system ONLY runs the one application).

This system is an isolated subnet with only 6 boxes, 5 are Linux data
collection systems and the 6th is a Windows 2000 GUI box.

The problem arises when Windows client try's to access the data. It gets an
"Access Denied" message.

>From the default smb.conf - the following are my changes from the default...

workgroup = WORKGROUP

hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.

security = share

[filestore]
        comment = Digital Data Files
        path = /filestore
        public = yes
        writable = yes
        create mask = 0777
        directory mode = 0777

I am not a Linux guru, however is do have some experience with both Samba
and Linux.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mike

This message is private and contains confidential information intended only
for the use of the recipient(s). If you have received this e-mail in error
and are not the intended recipient you must not disclose, copy or distribute
it to anyone else. Please advise the sender immediately,
mjwestkamper at weiinc.com, and delete this email and all attachments.