[Samba] Non-primary group permissions

gibbs, simon simon.gibbs at informa.com
Wed Mar 3 12:28:49 GMT 2004

Hi,

I have a problem that if I set a file or directory group owner, users
that are members of this group cannot access it unless this is
their primary group.

This is using samba 3.0.2a - all user and group info is coming from
winbind.

I've tried using the setgid bit so users run with the permission of the
group that owns the directory but this only works if the permissions are set
to 2777 which is effectively  allowing any user access with the setgid group
permission.

I could use the 'force group' option on the share, but this still means that
only one group can be of any use for that share which isn't practical.

Is this expected behaviour or is something going wrong?

Thanks,

Simon

Here's my smb.conf:

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = DOMAINNAME
        realm = KERBEROS.REALM
        server string = data-cl2a samba server
        security = DOMAIN
        password server = kerberosserver.domain
        idmap uid = 10000-20000
        idmap gid = 10000-20000
        template shell = /bin/bash
        winbind separator = /

[Data]
        comment = Test Data Dir
        path = /Data
        read only = No

The information contained in this email message may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, interference with, disclosure or copying of this material is unauthorised and prohibited. Although this message and any attachments are believed to be free of viruses, no responsibility is accepted by Informa for any loss or damage arising in any way from receipt or use thereof.  Messages to and from the company are monitored for operational reasons and in accordance with lawful business practices.
If you have received this message in error, please notify us by return and delete the message and any attachments.  Further enquiries/returns can be sent to postmaster at informa.com