[Samba] xp pro & debian

steve downes steve at kingswayelec.co.uk
Wed Mar 3 11:13:19 GMT 2004

on Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 08:48:28PM -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 17:26, steve downes wrote:
> > I've got a working samba setup on a debian linux server. Existing
> > windows boxes are win98 with unencripted passwords. They only need to
> > see the exported directories on the samba server. All the networking
> > is working. (dns, dhcp, ping, internet access, etc )
> >
> > Anything I do on my new XP Pro box or in samba.conf gives the error
> > message:-
> >
> > The folder you entered does not appear to be valid.please choose
> > another.
> >
> > When I try to set up a "network place" \\server\home\steve
> >
> > The win98 & XP boxes are sharing & the win98 boxes are picking up the
> > samba shares.
> >
> > The XP installation is pretty much default & nothing clever done with
> > it except running the win98_plainpassword.reg which seems OK as this
> > is what opened the win 98 shares.
> >
> > Any gotchas I am missing?
>
> You are not causing the XP and W2K machine to use plain text passwords.
> It is a completely different Registry Key.
>
> Good Luck, it isn't to hard to find.
>
> First couple of links should get you going:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=EnablePlainTextPassword+Windows+XP
>

> --
> greg at gregfolkert.net
> REMEMBER ED CURRY! http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry

Many thanks Greg,

Yes the win98 de-encript password script hadn't worked, I was rather
thrown by the fact that it was immediateley after that that I started
seeing my win98 shares.

Now sorted the unencripted password & curiously it is now seeing the
linux server but rejecting the username/password.

Any other ideas (anybody)

Steve