[Samba] Roaming profiles problems Samba 3.0.2a / Win XP Pro/Win2K

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Mar 2 22:58:48 GMT 2004

Hi guys,

I'm experiencing seemingly random problems using roaming profiles with
Samba 3.0.2 on Debian Woody and clients being Win XP Pro and Win2K (all
of them running the latest service packs and critical updates and so
forth).

Sometimes when one of the machines tires to login the server profile
can't be found. The error Windows comes up with is "Network name cannot
be found." and that's all. The event viewer shows no additional
information which name it's trying to access.

In trying to read up on this problem, these "network name not found"
errors indicate that there might be a problem with the share names in
the samba configuration file and actual files and directories on the
harddrive. However, wouldn't that imply this error will show up every
single time I try to logon?

8 out of 10 login attemps work fine, it just fails every now and then.
Sometimes logging out and immediately logging in fixes it. Sometimes it
requires a few attempts before it finally goes through.

This happens from every workstation, so it does not look like an
isolated issue with just one workstation.

Additionally, when the login goes fine without errors and the roaming
profile seems to be loading, it doesn't always seem to be rigth. Say I
made some changes on a machine called Eriond (different background
colour and created some desktop shortcuts), I log out of that machine
and it saves chagnes without errors. Logging on another machine called
Lorien does not always show these latest changes, but it does load some
kind of profile. WHen I log out of Lorien and back in on Eriond, the new
colours and such are gone because Lorien just wrote its version of the
profile to the server.

Does anybody know of a way how I can go about debugging this roaming
profile issue? I've see similar problems reported on this list but no
(working) answers, so I'm wondering if this is just one of those bugs
that eludes everybdoy. Especially seeing I can't reliably reproduce the
problem.

Thanks for any help and insights you guys may be able to share.

--
Gerard Beekmans