[Samba] Samba 3 and NTLMv2 support

Ron Dhillon rsd at georgetown.edu
Tue Mar 2 00:28:00 GMT 2004

Hi:

I have Samba 3.0.2a running on Fedora Core 1.  This server is set to be
Domain PDC and I am looking to have clients attach to it NTLMv2 only.
After looking over the man page for smb.conf, I have set the two options
that I thought would accomplish:

[Global]
lanman auth = no
ntlm auth = no

On the workstation side, I have set
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\lmcompatibilitylevel to "5".
When I try to join the clients to the domain, I get the error:

"Logon Failure: Unknown Username or Bad Password"

If I change the line, in smb.conf, for ntlm auth to "yes" and set the
client registry key to "2" then I have no problem.  NTLMv1 seems to be
negotiated without any problems but NTLMv2 hasn't been quite so easy.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Ron