[Samba] protocol negotiation fails on connections to certain computers

John H. mrmailer at myway.com
Mon Mar 1 20:31:28 GMT 2004

Samba 3 on mandrake system.  I can connect to other windows machines, but they cannot connect, getting "network path not found" or whatever.  I cannot connect to myself(I am not a PDC or anything), because I get this error...

smbclient3 -L \\192.168.111.200 -U user
protocol negotiation failed

or sometimes more specifically...

[2004/03/01 14:24:25, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_socket_with_timeout(279)
  read_socket_with_timeout: timeout read. read error = Connection reset by peer.protocol negotiation failed

smbd3 and nmbd3 are running.
thanks