[Samba] Multiple DB / fragmented information

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Mon Mar 1 15:57:27 GMT 2004

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Lapin(c) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wonder if it's possible to have multiple backend in order to fragment SAM
> information. For example, i'd like to have a central LDAP directory for user
> authentication purpose but a local tdb format for Machines accounts.
>
> I want to minimize network traffic but still keep a central user account DB.
>
> Has anybody tried this kind of config ?

Yes. It can be done, but this will not scale for use with PDC/BDC
environments. Machine accounts change security password at regular
intervals. Machine account passwords must be identical on all PDC/BDC
machines. You will need to figure out a way to ensure that this happens -
somethings that can be done with LDAP but not with tdbsam backends.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org