[Samba] Samba3 Win95 interoperability

Jonathan Johnson jon at sutinen.com
Wed Jun 30 18:34:01 GMT 2004

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-06-28 at 16:20, Tomás Polák wrote:
> > >         lanman auth = no
>
> This is the cause of the inability to connect from Win95/98 machines.
>
> These clients only support Lanman authentication, and so have been
> locked out of this server.
>
> Andrew Bartlett

Not sure this is on point, but check out the Active Directory Client
Extensions, that may allow to you connect your Win95 machines with all
the necessary security options set on the server.

My experience is that this client is required to connect Win95 to
Windows Server 2003; your mileage with Samba may vary. I understand it
provides NT LanMan v2 authentication.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/evaluation/news/bulletins/adextension.asp

The Win9x client isn't available for download; it's on the Win2K Server
CD under the CLIENTS folder (but not on the Server 2003 CD).

--Jon Johnson
Sutinen Consulting, Inc.
jon at sutinen.com