[Samba] Re: want to ban XP Home Edition

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Wed Jun 30 12:30:58 GMT 2004

tms3 wrote:

> Well remeber all...XP Prop and XP home are teh same OS.  And w2k3 and
> XP sp2 are the same OS .  Changes are made through the registry.  Thus
> XP pro features that home "doesn't have" are disabled in the
> registry.  Don't know how that would affect the actual stack.
> Something to think about.
>
> Oh yeah, and M$ is using the FreeBSD protocol stack anyway...only all
> users have root level access to it.

Aren't there a few other differences then just a a registry change
between the two?

I believe that there is a difference, albiet small, between the XP Home
and XP Pro kernels, in that the Home Edition will NOT use two processors
regardless of what you do, whereas the Pro version will happily gobble
up two CPUs. I honestly don't believe hat could be as simple as a
registry change.

Beyond that, there are a few other differences that are designed to
'force' people onto Windows XP Pro, if they want more 'corporate'  (in
my case actually functional) features in an OS.

-Rob