[Samba] [EXPERIENCES] with OpenLDAP and Samba and Redundancy ???

ww m-pubsyssamba pubsyssamba at bbc.co.uk
Wed Jun 30 10:19:40 GMT 2004

Or you could buy a couple of $/£1000 Sun Sparc servers and use SunONE LDAP with multi master support???
Depends if you already have and OpenLDAP environment and don't object to using Solaris instead of
Linux... (can still run Samba on whatever platform you want)

On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 21:53, Thomas Reiß wrote:
> Hello Buchan Milne,
>
> [..]
>
> > No you don't, unless your slave is misconfigured.
> >
> > | e.g. a machine changes its machine password in Slave directory and
> > can't logon anymore cause the password change isn't replicated on Master
> > |

> > It's password change attempt will fail.
>
> [...]
>

> > Only if you've mis-configured it.
> >
> > Note that these questions don't really have anything to do with samba,
> > you may want to ask on the openldap list.
>
> Sorry about when i ask too.
> But i think this on Topic on this List.
>
> The Question is:
> What happens in Samba when the Master LDAP Server ist down and a Change-
> Request for the Workstation-Machine-Account-Passwort comes?

The request is failed, and life continues.

> - Is it possible that a User can't Logon on this Workstation?

Not in my experience, but my PDC isn't down often.

> - Or falls the Workstation out of the Domain?
> (Nevermore a Member of the Domain)?

I can't see any reason why the client would assume 'ok' if we said
'no'...

> - When nothing happens, why is there a Mechanism for changes of Machine
>   Passworts (Security, or what else)?

Because it is not a good idea to keep the same password forever.
Prevents somebody else who had a copy using it...  (why do you ask your
users to change their passwords).

> - When i right understand, then is in this Szenario no Changes of
>   Passwort's, LastLogonTime usw. possible, right?

This doesn't make any sense (then again, very little of your post did).

Andrew Bartlett

This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal views which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically
stated.
If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system. Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in
reliance on it and notify the sender immediately. Please note that the BBC monitors e-mails sent or received.