[Samba] [EXPERIENCES] with OpenLDAP and Samba and Redundancy ???

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jun 30 08:14:22 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 21:53, Thomas Reiß wrote:
> Hello Buchan Milne,
>
> [..]
>
> > No you don't, unless your slave is misconfigured.
> >
> > | e.g. a machine changes its machine password in Slave directory and
> > can't logon anymore cause the password change isn't replicated on Master
> > |

> > It's password change attempt will fail.
>
> [...]
>

> > Only if you've mis-configured it.
> >
> > Note that these questions don't really have anything to do with samba,
> > you may want to ask on the openldap list.
>
> Sorry about when i ask too.
> But i think this on Topic on this List.
>
> The Question is:
> What happens in Samba when the Master LDAP Server ist down and a Change-
> Request for the Workstation-Machine-Account-Passwort comes?

The request is failed, and life continues.

> - Is it possible that a User can't Logon on this Workstation?

Not in my experience, but my PDC isn't down often.

> - Or falls the Workstation out of the Domain?
> (Nevermore a Member of the Domain)?

I can't see any reason why the client would assume 'ok' if we said
'no'...

> - When nothing happens, why is there a Mechanism for changes of Machine
>   Passworts (Security, or what else)?

Because it is not a good idea to keep the same password forever.
Prevents somebody else who had a copy using it...  (why do you ask your
users to change their passwords).

> - When i right understand, then is in this Szenario no Changes of
>   Passwort's, LastLogonTime usw. possible, right?

This doesn't make any sense (then again, very little of your post did).

Andrew Bartlett