[Samba] Re: want to ban XP Home Edition

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jun 30 03:35:32 GMT 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 13:11, tms3 wrote:
> Well remeber all...XP Prop and XP home are teh same OS.  And w2k3 and XP
> sp2 are the same OS .  Changes are made through the registry.  Thus XP
> pro features that home "doesn't have" are disabled in the registry.
> Don't know how that would affect the actual stack.  Something to think
> about.

That's not quite true, as the utilities and the link shipped also
differ.  But the kernel is the same, I understand, for sanity's sake.

> Oh yeah, and M$ is using the FreeBSD protocol stack anyway...only all
> users have root level access to it.

This rumour seems to have kicked around the Internet a bit, but do you
have anything more than the old BSD copyright notice on ftp.exe to base
it on?

Certainly netcraft and nmap have no difficulty telling them apart.

Andrew Bartlett