[Samba] Samba Problems with Authentication against a 2K3 ADS Server

Jacob A. Alifrangis jalifrangis at xialys.com
Tue Jun 29 23:16:06 GMT 2004

Ok, here's the problem now......

I have Two unix boxes and Four Windows Servers here.

The two unix boxes marvin and muse are running rhes 3 and suse 9.1
stock.

Marvin uses the smbpasswd file to authenticate; I just have to sync the
passwords manually.

I am trying to setup muse using winbind and samba 3.0.2a

The problem is that the XP machines on the network don't want to talk to
muse, I get an Access Denied message of sorts preceeded by a logon
request dialog.

The samba/log.smbd gives this explanation:

[2004/06/28 23:40:56, 0] auth/auth_util.c:make_server_info_info3(1120)

  make_server_info_info3: pdb_init_sam failed!

Very useful; nothing on google is useful either......

Here's my smb.conf:

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = BRAINDONORS
        realm = BRAINDONORS.NET
        server string = Music / CDImage Server
        security = ADS
        auth methods = winbind
        local master = No
        wins server = zaphod.braindonors.net
        ldap suffix = dc=braindonors,dc=net
        ldap ssl = no
        idmap uid = 10000-20000
        idmap gid = 10000-20000
        winbind enable local accounts = No

[music-mp3]
        comment = MP3 Format Music Files
        path = /music/mp3
        read only = No

[music-mp3-singles]
        comment = Singles and One tracks
        path = /music/singles/mp3
        veto files = /.AppleDouble/.bin/.AppleDesktop/Network Trash
Folder/._*