[Samba] smbpasswd !!?!

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Tue Jun 29 19:06:22 GMT 2004

Alexander Varga wrote:

>Thanx
>...and yes. It is realy a big trouble with lot of users.  I tryed ldap, but hence my LDAP server is an Novel eDirectory, I  am not realy familiar with it and couldn't find any advice on google to configurte it right(the problem I have is to use the right filters while searchyng the LDAP accounts and rights).
>I read about winbind. ... would it be a solution for me, or better try it once again with LDAP?
>I need also do manage access to directoryes with restrictions. maybe pam could do that.
>... some suggestions?

      Unless I am mistaken, PAM is the combination passwd/group file
with a seperate smbpasswd file. From what you are saying, that's not
what you want.

      LDAP is what I would focus on and only because you seem to already
have a working LDAP installation running.. If you are still in your
early stages with this server (If it is a Linux Server)  you could give
it a reinstall, I know that during the (Expert) installation process of
several different distributions you are asked what kind of
authentication model you wish to use, I know that LDAP is one of the
choices and it might be easier to configure that during the install then
after the initial install of the OS. Believe me when I say this, I am
totally lost when it comes to LDAP Authentication.and the above is just
a guess.

    I am very far from an expert here, I am also not very familar with
Winbind.

    I am mearly okay with a few areas of setting up Samba, nothing more.

    Good luck!
    -Rob