[Samba] smbpasswd !!?!

Dwight Tovey dwight at dtovey.net
Tue Jun 29 16:22:29 GMT 2004

Robert Adkins said:

> Samba utilizes the UNIX File permissions for telling Windows machines
> who can do what with a file. Due to this, you have a decent User and
> Group set of controls you can place on the files/directories that you
> choose to share with Samba.
>
>  Without having users in the passwd file, Samba wouldn't be able to
> utilize those access rights.
>
> Yeah, it can be a paine, but it does a good job.
>
> If having multiple user account information to track is a pain, may I
> suggest converting to NIS or LDAP for user authentication?

I am also trying to set up a Samba server without having to define local
Unix users.  Using LDAP is fine for what we want to do.  From what you are
saying then, will I need to also install nss_ldap in order to get the
proper access control?  If we weren't concerned about access control,
could we just use the 'force user/group' parameters and not install
nss_ldap?

    /dwight

--
Dwight N. Tovey