[Samba] Samba + LDAP + OS X = no compilation

Chris St. Pierre stpierre at NebrWesleyan.edu
Tue Jun 29 16:06:41 GMT 2004

I'm trying to compile Samba 3.0.4 on Mac OS X Server with the following

# ./configure --with-ldap --with-ldapsam --with-quotas

(If that's somehow wrong, I'm certainly open to changing it.)  The Samba
package that comes with OS X apparently does not have LDAP SAM support.

Anyhow, it configures just dandy, but when I compile it fails with:

include/proto.h:589: syntax error, found `LDAP_CONST'
include/proto.h:591: illegal function definition, found `)'
/usr/include/dlfcn.h:35: warning: #warning "You are using dlopen(), a legacy
API. Please use the Mach-O dylib loading APIs if at all possible"
cpp-precomp: warning: errors during smart preprocessing, retrying in basic
mode
In file included from include/includes.h:891,
                 from dynconfig.c:21:
include/proto.h:589: parse error before "LDAP_CONST"
make: *** [dynconfig.o] Error 1

(The warning about dlopen() appears a lot and can be safely ignored.)  It
seems to not understand the LDAP_CONST keyword.  I went into the source and
changed that to just good old vanilla "const," and it gets further, but
eventually errors out with:

smbd/quotas.c:933: header file 'devnm.h' not found
cpp-precomp: warning: errors during smart preprocessing, retrying in basic
mode
make: *** [smbd/quotas.o] Error 1

No idea about that one; I've got no file called "devnm.h" in my source
directory.  Should it be elsewhere?

Has anyone here compiled Samba with LDAP on OS X?  Or had this problem on
another platform?  Or does anyone just have some insight into the problem?

Thanks!

Chris St. Pierre
Unix Systems Administrator
Nebraska Wesleyan University