[Samba] smbpasswd !!?!

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Tue Jun 29 14:20:04 GMT 2004

Samba utilizes the UNIX File permissions for telling Windows machines
who can do what with a file. Due to this, you have a decent User and
Group set of controls you can place on the files/directories that you
choose to share with Samba.

 Without having users in the passwd file, Samba wouldn't be able to
utilize those access rights.

Yeah, it can be a paine, but it does a good job.

If having multiple user account information to track is a pain, may I
suggest converting to NIS or LDAP for user authentication?

-Rob