[Samba] Samba 3.0.0 PDC, XP SP1, and domain joining woes.

Bill Szkotnicki bszk at wright.aps.uoguelph.ca
Mon Jun 28 20:10:22 GMT 2004

Marcel,
Did you ever solve the problem below?
I am having the same trouble here.
Thanks, Bill Szkotnicki

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 09:34:26AM +0100, Nick Maynard wrote:
>/ > > > "A domain controller for the domain BEECHES could not be contacted.
/>/ > > > Ensure the domain name is typed correctly.
/>/ > > > If the name is correct, click Details for troubleshooting information."
/>/ >
/>/ > Look in the Samba docs under Registry.
/>/ >
/>/ > WinXP_SignOrSeal.reg
/>/ Yup, done that one already (was debating whether to mention that or not).
/>/ Thanks though - any other ideas?
/
I managed doing this once in the 2.2 samba series
If I remember correcly you have to 'add' your xp box by loging in as
administrator and map administrator to root in the smbuser file.
Also add administrator/root to some admin unix group (forgot the details)
and have the windows box automatically be added as a machine-user (e..g $freddy
in your case) to samba.
The relevant part of my smb.conf looks like:

[global]
   workgroup = DOLLAR
   add user script = /usr/sbin/adduser -n -g machines -c Samba_Client -d /dev/null -s /bin/false %m$
   server string = Samba
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
   unix password sync = Yes
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
   username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
   local master = yes
   domain master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   domain logons = yes
   domain admin group = @adm @users
   logon script = scripts\default.bat
   logon drive = h:
   wins support = yes
   dns proxy = no
   getwd cache = yes
   time server = yes

The 'add user script' and the 'domain admin group' seem crucial!

Hope this helps a bit. It is been a while since I've set this up for a customer
so I might have miseed a few things but this should get you a step further...

-Marcel
--
     ======--------         Marcel J.E. Mol                MESA Consulting B.V.
    =======---------        ph. +31-(0)6-54724868          P.O. Box 112