[Samba] specified network name is no longer available

Dragan Krnic dkrnic at lycos.com
Mon Jun 28 11:07:30 GMT 2004

Hi Volker,

Jordan Coleman, Murray Taylor, David Kennel,
Frederic Corne and Stephen Jones all wrote
about the problem of a specified network
intermittently reported "no longer available"
when writing to a file.

It's the same problem which I complained
about on April 7. I then assumed it had to
do with the presence of a w2k3 server in
the domain. The problem disappeared after
I removed the w2k3 and cleaned up the TDB's.

On May 2 Jerry (Carter) said that Volker
(Lendecke) fixed that problem in 3.0.3.

For many different reasons I've delayed
updating Samba until now (since the problem
seemed to disappear as I said). I've installed
Samba 3.0.4-SerNet-SuSE yesterday and have
that problem again. It affects only a share
on a member server (same hardware/software
as the PDC). Storing or copying a file into
a dir on that server causes the error
"Specified network name no longer available"
although one sees that a 0-length file has
been created. Trying to delete that file
brings the same message, but the file is
actually deleted.

Again I've run many debug sessions but there
simply isn't anything there which would
indicate that something is wrong.

The problem is really critical because the
said member server is part of a production
environment.

I would very much appreciate some help.

Cheers
Dragan