[Samba] Samba3 Win95 interoperability

Tomás Polák Tomas.Polak at jaga.sk
Mon Jun 28 06:20:20 GMT 2004

Hello,
W95 by default uses plain text password instead of W98
and newest which uses encrypted passwords by default.
Samba allows to use only one of these at a time as configured
by encrypt passwords directive. So all  your Samba client
machines must use same type of passwords.
Two ways to do:
 - set W2K to use plain text passwords (wrong way)
 - set W95 to use ecrypted password (normal solution)

>From O'Relly Using Samba book:
In Samba distribution you can find /doc/Registry with
platform-specific .reg files, that changes your Windows
registry settings to use plain passwords. You can use that
to see which reistry entry in W95 is used for password
mode and change that by hand to preffered value.

Hope this helps.
TP